Friday, February 21, 2014

Women Who Make America

I was browsing the internet (read: procrastinating) and came across this awesome website called Makers: Women Who Make America. The project aims to compile the stories of trailblazing women from across the country through tons of video interviews. Makers looks to document the paths of women in all kinds of different fields, especially in those usually dominated by men like business, technology, sports and politics. It is a great, empowering way to put off writing my essay. 

Anyways, one of my favorite interviews is with Nancy Pelosi, the former Speaker of the House. As the first female Speaker, she had no choice but to learn how to make her voice heard in a room filled with men. This is one of my favorite videos of her...



                   
This quote especially resonated with me: "It's in everybody's interest, Democrats and Republicans, to have many more women in all parties represented in Congress, and in government, and in business, and across the board.  I know that nothing has been more wholesome for our political system, for our government than the increased participation of women"

It's so powerful to hear from someone on the inside of politics just how far we as women have come  and how much more we can do. It really makes me want to go out and get involved. Like right now...

Watch some of the other interviews on Makers and let me know which are your favorites!

No comments:

Post a Comment