Saturday, February 22, 2014

Achievement and A Life

One of the things I heard all time in high school was, "Do you even have a life?"

I was really involved in a lot of things in high school; I was the captain of the debate and mock trial teams, an executive board member of my school's Amnesty International chapter, an editor for our literary magazine and an active volunteer at my public library. On top of that, I was constantly studying for an endless cycle of quizzes, tests and presentations.

With all of those things going on, it was sometimes hard to have a life. But I already made time for my friends, and I hope all of you highly driven, overachieving readers are doing the same thing.

School-life balance is really important. Everyone needs friends to be their cheerleaders, inspiration and shoulders to cry on when things don't work out (and sometimes they don't).One of my favorite YA authors, Sarah Dessen says it best:

“Life is an awful, ugly place to not have a best friend."
-Sarah Dessen, Someone Like You 

No comments:

Post a Comment