Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Feminist Art

I started taking studio art classes at age five, and although I don't get as much studio time as I'd like nowadays, I maintain a healthy interest in art. I'm also really interested in feminist expression, so you can imagine how excited I was to see some really cool feminist art/commentary on PolicyMic.com.

As an example, here's a piece by Lauren Salazar, called "No More I Love Yous." 

"No More I Love Yous" by Lauren Salazar, 2013. Handwoven and installed Cottlin, staples. Dimensions Variable. Image: courtesy of Lauren Salazar.

"If I'm challenging anything it would be the masculine, and the readily accepted mediums and practices of fine art — like painting and sculpture.  And I'm saying that the feminine, even the traditional, has always been just as complicated, interesting, and aesthetically beautiful." -Lauren Salazar on her work

Read more about Lauren's, and other awesome female artists', work in the original article on PolicyMic.

No comments:

Post a Comment