Saturday, February 15, 2014

Recruiting 101

During my junior year of high school, I started coxing. Probably 80% of you have zero clue what being a coxswain means, so for a brief explanation: I sit in the back of a boat with eight guys rowing and yell at them. I also steer, motivate, correct technique, etc. but the best part is definitely the yelling.  

Little did I know, less than two years later, I was a recruited Division I athlete competing at a national level. Being recruited completely changed my college admissions process, so I wanted to give you all some tips on how to get recruited:

That's me in the near boat!!

1. Contact college coaches early and often to let them know you are interested in them and to stay at the front of their mind (while always following NCAA rules).

2. Make sure your high school coach is willing to talk to college coaches about you.

3. Have someone record you while competing, so you have something tangible to show college coaches.

4. Study hard for your classes and standardized tests: This will make you a more attractive candidate to coaches, especially at universities with high academic standards.

5. Don't forget your #1 goal is finding the school that's the best fit for you. Remember, you're going to college to be a STUDENT-athlete.

No comments:

Post a Comment